Month: April 2013

Out of Acadia

albumcover 4

Although it has been a lenthy seven months since I have graced the servers of wordpress.com, I am finally back talking about my newest project, “Acadia” which is still in its infancy. This album has been a three year long metamorphosis of two albums, several different bands, and thousands of hours, and dollars, and hundreds of people to finally get a set image and feel for the album.

Firstly, the album has actually been constructed from two separate entities. The first album from my band The Northern Arcade never saw completion, along with the many hours of solo “sonic exploration”, I was able to come up with a palette of sounds that “worked” for me. By picking the best pieces from The Northern Arcade and mixing it with the almost shoegaze and ambient complexity of my newer works, my album could finally have a place to grow in the mind of myself, and others who have aided me in this mind-boggling task.

The new album in itself will be a feat of sonic engineering. “The best albums overall of any band is always the first” I had said in an interview. “You can hear and feel the creative hunger in the music, you can hear the soul and the long hours of searching for the right sound until they put down whatever they have, and say ‘To hell with it; we second album will sound better anyways.'” This is exactly my predicament: I want this album to have the hunger and edge like that of the first recordings I can remember laying down, but with a more mature and natural sound. This will be the third album I have put out in recent years, but the first I have released under a self-titled and solo name, truly making Acadia a difficult venture.

In the past six months, I have worked with a new drummer, vocalist, bassist, and possibly two new guitarists to give the new record a fresh, and hopefully “Freshmen” album feel. The sound will be as dramatic as the making of the record as well: Two drummers, like that of The Northern Arcade, two guitarists (me being one) focusing on ambience and mood setting, rather than intricate guitar licks and screaming solo work. Unlike my previous band, most of the work for this album will be instrumental, with the addition of harmonic, string-like vocals. To cap off the already dramatic arrangement of instruments, the bassist and keyboardists are new and will build a ambient pad that the rest of the band can work on top of.

The sound of the band will be reminiscent of Explosions in the SkyMogwaiand Bon Iver, but with an acoustic twist, a hint of piano, and a dash of experimental effects usage. Very mellow, very melancholy, but at times uplifting and overwhelmingly beautiful, this new sound will become almost cinematic as the album presses forward, ending as though you have just finished a blockbuster movie. As for now, only about 20% of the final product has been approved and is ready for mastering, with the other 80% being written and recorded within the next couple of months.

At the rate that Acadia is progressing, the finished product will air by the end of summer 2013, but as of right now, hard work and perseverance is my motivation, not to mention my work ethic. Hopefully the following album cover spoilers will keep you interested, as well as a promotional video for the Acadia album in the near future.

Image

Image